I’m really excited to return to 1440 Multiversity, where I’m offering two programs in April. I was there in June 2017, just after their Memorial Day opening—they were still putting in the landscaping and building the spa, but the classroom building, lodging, and dining hall were all running in tip-top shape. The luxurious rooms! The views of the redwoods! The food! It was all wonderful, and I can’t wait to see how things are settling in (and, of course, to do extensive spa research as co-owner of Hillsborough Spa and Day Retreat).
Join me! I know you’ll love everything, too. I’m offering:
Yoga for a Stress Resistant Body and Mind, Friday–Sunday, April 20–22
Without some challenge there can be no change in our bodies and minds, but too much stress will lead to breakdown. Discovering the ideal balance of stress and rest is the key to unlocking growth and resilience.
Join yoga teacher and athletic recovery expert Sage Rountree, E-RYT 500, for a weekend of yoga designed to help you manage stress and fortify your health. Explore yoga routines that will expand your capacity for relaxation and self-care by introducing you to the science of adapting to stress. This exploratory workshop is welcoming and accessible for people of any age and with any level of yoga experience—including none.
Through a combination of lecture, journaling, and all-levels yoga practice, you will learn:
- Soothing yoga techniques to train your nervous system to process stress in a healthy way
- Invigorating yoga practices to increase and maintain physical and emotional balance in any situation
- Easy meditation and breath exercises to keep you cool, calm, and collected
- Simple techniques to combat the negative effects of chronic stress.
Everyone is welcome, regardless of experience with yoga, movement, or athletics. Come ready to explore and walk away inspired to take on what life has in store for you—physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Teaching Yoga to Athletes, Sunday–Friday, April 22–27
The field of yoga for athletes is growing in exciting directions as more and more athletes credit yoga with taking their performance to the next level. Specializing in yoga for athletes allows you to share yoga’s benefits with a new, receptive population.
Sage Rountree, a pioneer in the field, has multifaceted experience as a coach, athlete, and teacher working with endurance-sports athletes and collegiate teams.
This five-day intensive on yoga for sports training is designed for yoga teachers interested in working with athletes of all sports. It will also be useful for coaches, PE teachers, and personal trainers.
Through lecture, group discussion, led yoga sequences, and practice teaching, you will learn:
- Philosophy: clear and easy ways to describe yoga philosophy that athletes will appreciate
- Physiology: the role yoga plays in the context of a training cycle so you can best serve your students
- Psychology: to understand the needs, abilities, and limitations that athletes bring to a yoga practice
- Pedagogy: how to modify classes for athletes of various sports, different levels of experience, and all points in the training cycle
- Profession: how to create your business goals, structure a working plan, and embark on a successful career teaching yoga to athletes and everyone.
You will leave with a new awareness of the parallels between yoga and sports training, empowered with skills to teach athletes in studio, gym, team, or one-on-one settings.
The center is in the redwood forest between San José and Santa Cruz. It’s an easy drive from any Bay Area location, and a simple ride from SJC, the San José airport. (Be sure you book there instead of San José, Costa Rica!) There are lovely trails to hike or run under the redwoods, and it’s a short trip to Scotts Valley (there’s a nice soft high school running track nearby) or to Santa Cruz to dip your toes in the Pacific. You’ll also be perfectly content to stay on campus throughout your stay. There are daily yoga and qi gong classes, fun evening activities, a lovely fitness center, the brand-new spa, a hot tub under the redwoods, a killer coffee shop with gelato, and a dining hall that will blow you away at every meal.