Enjoy the Process

Last night, over Champagne (don’t be alarmed by the picture, there were other people present to aid in consumption!), my business partner, Lies Sapp (at right), and I bought the Carrboro Yoga Company from my longtime friends, Rick and Donia Robinson (Donia’s at left, and will be familiar to my Kripalu students as my most lovely assistant). But did the transfer happen last night, with the signing of the closing papers, or did it happen when we came to terms? Did it happen when Lies and I formed a partnership, or will it happen when our training is finished and Donia leaves for California?
Similarly, last week, I signed another important contract, for a new book deal. The actual signing took place in a sixty-second trip to my agent’s office, between picking up cookies at the co-op for snack and running to meet my children at the door to their school. That was not the moment when I formally began writing this book. Was that moment when the concept came to me? When I drafted a table of contents and sketched out the direction I wanted to go with the book? When my editor and I began talking? When I opened the first chapter file?
Does your “doing” a race—your first half marathon, say—happen when you cross the finish line? The start line? When you think, “I can do this”? When you pay for your race entry? Or does it happen all along the way, every morning as you lace up your shoes, every evening as you head to yoga class?
Yoga practice teaches us to emphasize the process over the result, because the result is always changing. Any process is a linked series of moments, and while there are key moments along the path, none is the definitive one. The more you can stay aware in each, the more fulfilling your life.

7 Responses to “Enjoy the Process”

1. martygaal says:

Congrats on the studio and new book, Sage!

2. Calyx Meredith says:

OH YAY FOR YOU! Love this post. Definitely needed to hear it, thanks for the reminder. And I'm excited for you and your new ventures.

3. Greg says:

Thank you so much for these last two posts. As you know, the last 5 days or so have been a bit frustrating for me, but a reminder that what I accomplish happens every day, step by step, and not just at the finish line, helps keep me ready to receive the next blessing, in whatever form it comes.

4. Amy Bouck says:

beautiful post. Thank you. And congrats on the new studio!

5. Susan Mo says:

Really enjoyed this post. I am so excited for you and your new adventures. I agree with you about the process – it happens every single day. I had no idea I could run a marathon, but I did. It happened physically with each footfall from training through the race. It happened emotionally with that first fleeing thought "Can I do it?" from the moment I crossed the finish line and got to say "Yes, I can do it."

6. MJ says:

Oh congratulations on both new endeavors! How exciting!

Thank you for the encouragement on trying to stay in the moment and be mindful of the process. Looking forward to reading the new book and maybe when I'm on travel I can take a class at the studio (I'm not local to the Triangle area).

Best and namaste…..